3M™ Thermally Conductive Tape 9885
5.0 mil, thermally conductive adhesive transfer tape on 2.0 mil, polyester liner. For mounting thermoelectric cooling modules, bonding flexible circuits to heat sinks, bonding heat sinks to microprocessors and bonding TAB-mounted IC to PCB.
3M™ Thermally Conductive Adhesive Transfer Tapes 9882, 9885, and 9890 are used to mechanically and thermally bond electronic components (packages and flexible circuits) to heat sinks or heat sensors. These tapes allow for easy joining of many substrates with light pressure in just seconds at room temperature. 3M™ Thermally Conductive Adhesive Transfer Tapes are permanently tacky tapes consisting of a 2.0 mil, 5.0 mil, or 10.0 mil thick pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) film filled with ceramic particles. These particles allow thermal conduction through the tape. The tape yields an excellent combination of thermal conductivity, electrical isolation and adhesion. The transfer tape format means there is no carrier layer, which allows for superior gap filling between the bonded substrates. This improved contact results in higher bond strength and lower thermal resistance. The PSA properties of these tapes make them easy to handle and apply without need for thermal bonding. These tapes are also repositionable and reworkable during assembly, and the final bond is permanent, eliminating the need for clamps and screws. All three thicknesses meet NASA low outgassing specifications (NASA SP-R-0022).
- These tapes are pressure sensitive adhesives loaded with thermally conductive ceramic fillers. Pressure is needed to form a bond. Heat and pressure may be needed on some substrates to achieve an acceptable bond.
- The specialized acrylic chemistry of these tapes provide for good thermal stability of the base polymer.
- The thermally conductive tapes are on a silicone treated polyester release liner for ease of handling and die cutting.
- The tapes offer both good thermal conductivity and good electrical insulation properties.
- Tapes 9882, 9885, and 9890 provide best adhesion results when used with high surface energy substrates.