Design Engineers Use Structural Adhesives To Replace Mechanical FastenersStructural adhesives, both liquid and tape formats, are used in a growing number of applications as replacements for mechanical fasteners. Some of the reasons for this trend include:
Fabrico works with design engineers and manufacturers to select the right adhesive for the substrate and application. Fabrico can:
- Higher energy costs pushing weight reduction and fuel efficiency in automotive and aerospace applications;
- Manufacturers want to reduce costs, reduce the number of components, and improve productivity;
- Manufacturers are looking to improve product quality by eliminating process variables;
- Design engineers are working with dissimilar materials, such as plastics, composites, and alloys - structural adhesives allow for the different coefficients of expansion of these materials;
- As components become smaller and lighter, there’s less space in the design for mechanical fasteners;
- Manufacturers are automating more processes, with structural adhesives better suited for those processes.
Using our in-house test lab, we can make suggestions and test alternatives to ensure that the structural adhesive will work correctly in the application.
- Analyze the application for materials and adhesives requirements;
- Recommend materials, adhesives, and suppliers;
- Test the materials and adhesives;
- Develop prototypes for customer testing;
- Provide design-for-manufacturability.